This resource guide is a comprehensive list of items of interest, research and reading materials for students, substance abuse counselors and members of the general public who seek to learn more about Substance Abuse Counseling. The resource guide is divided into broad categories, with each category listing pertinent resources. Each resource entry provides a link to the resource and is annotated with a brief description of the item. This guide also includes links to Substance Abuse professional associations, databases, journals and other resources to assist with research and applied practice in the area of Substance Abuse Counseling.
In addition to resources for those interested in topics related to Substance Abuse Counseling, various educational and informational resources are provided for parents and those in need of personal assistance with substance abuse. Certain social media accounts of notable practitioners in the field are listed to keep updated with news and developments in the field.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism is one of the 27 federal agencies that comprise the National Institutes of Health. The agency is the largest provider of funds for research efforts in areas of alcohol and alcoholism. The NIAAA mission is also to diseminate research findings to researchers, policy makers, health care workers and the general public. The NIAAA supports research that delve into understanding alcohol addiction and the socio-economic differences in response to alcohol.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse The National Institute on Drug Abuse is a federal agency that funds research in the area of substance abuse across several disciplines. The Institute is also committed to disseminating research findings and applying such findings in practical ways. The Institute also informs federal policy and seeks to improve prevention and treatment programs nationwide.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration The Samhsa is the federal organization that was established to provide resources to substance abuse counseling professionals. The organization was developed in 1992 to identify specific opportunities for substance abuse and mental health programs to serve American communities. The organization seeks to apply the latest research findings to programs that serve the American people.
- Substance Abuse Counselor This site explores the duties of a substance abuse counselor and provides resources for those seeking treatment centers. Hosed by Palm Partners Recovery Center.
- Addiction Blog – Blog that addresses topics of substance abuse, as well as other addictions.
- Addiction Inbox – Blog created and maintained by Substance Abuse Expert, Dirk Hanson. Hanson examines literature, articles and research regarding alcohol and substance addictions.
- Addiction Recovery Blog – Blog designed for the free exchange of ideas of recovering addicts and alcoholics.
- Addictions Recovery Blog – Blog of substance abuse counselor Jan Edward Williams, MS, JD, LCADC
- Alcoholism Support – Blog dedicated to providing support for those living with alcoholism.
- Helping Psychology – Blog that discusses substance abuse counseling issues and topics for practitioners.
- Non-Twelve Step Drug Rehabs Blog – This blog discusses thoughts, opinions and research about non-12 step research methods and treatments.
- Opiate Addiction Blog – This blog is maintained by substance abuse specialist, R.G. Newman, MD. Discusses addictions to opiates and successful treatment methods.
- Quit Smoking Blog – Blog discusses smoking cessation methods.
- Substance Abuse Counseling 101 for Parents – Blog created and maintained by substance abuse professional, Berry Lessin.
- The Good Drugs Guide – Blog posts cover all topics related to substance abuse, including treatment methods, rehabilitation centers, prescription drug abuse resources and more.
- Therapist Resources – Blog that discusses a wide variety of substance abuse counseling and other topics of concern to therapists and counselors.
- Transitions Substance Abuse Counseling Blog – Blog created and hosted by Transitions Drug Rehabilitation Centers.
- Wall Street Journal Blog – Wall Street Journal Blog regarding incidence of substance abuse increasing among older Americans.
- American Counseling Association – The American Counseling Association is the largest educational and professional organization for practicing counselors. The association was founded in 1952 and offers an annual conference for practitioners and advanced degree students. The association offers several publications, continuing education opportunities, leadership training and advocacy services. The association currently lists over 50,000 members.
- Association of Christian Alcohol and Drug Counselors Institute – The Association of Christian Alcohol and Drug Counselors Institute is a non-profit founded in 2002 for training alcohol and addiction counselors in working with patients from a Biblical perspective.
- National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors – The National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors is a professional association that offers annual conferences and certification for substance abuse counseling professionals. The organization offers continuing education opportunities and resources for practitioners.
- Drugs.com – Drugs.com is an online database of prescription and illegal drugs, definitions, identification and information about all drugs. In addition, the site provides information and articles regarding the use of drugs in American society.
- Drug Rehab Database – Nationwide database of drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers. The site also offers in-depth information about several types of drugs, both illicit and prescription, as well as alcohol.
- Find Counseling Substance Abuse Counseling Interactive Glossary – Site offers an interactive glossary of terms utilized in the field of substance abuse counseling.
- MedLine Plus – Database published and maintained by the National Institutes of Health for patients and the general public. MedLine Plus is a clearinghouse for information about substance abuse.
- Reelizations Media – Videos and multimedia resources for substance abuse counselors.
- Science Daily Addiction News – Site posts the latest news and research in the field of addiction.
- Sober Nation – Nationwide directory of substance abuse counselors.
- The Addiction Recovery Guide – Online resource index for addiction recovery information. Hosts a forum and message board, as well as a treatment center database. Also includes alternative treatments for substance abuse.
- Addiction Counselor Continuing Education Credits – Substance abuse counselors may obtain their continuing education credits online through courses offered by Addiction Counselor Education Credits.
- Addiction Resource Guide – Comprehensive directory of treatment facilities.
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselor Resource Center – Privately hosted site with resources for those seeking certification as a substance abuse counselor.
- Complete Counseling Solutions – Article repository with topics surrounding substance abuse and substance abuse counseling.
- Free Resources for Educational Excellence (Substance Abuse) – Teaching and learning resource site for federal agencies.
- MedScape – Alcohol and substance abuse evaluation summary and description.
- National Inhalant Prevention Coalition – The National Inhalant Prevention Coalition was founded in 1992 in Austin, TX. Formerly known as the Texas Prevention Project, the coalition works to promote awareness and provide resources about inhalant abuse.
- National Institutes of Health Senior Health – Provides resources and information for substance abuse counseling and treatment for seniors.
- Quizlet Substance Abuse Counseling Flashcards – Flashcards for substance abuse counselors and those training in the discipline.
- Substance Abuse Counselor Headquarters – Training, education and resources for the professional substance abuse counselor.
- Therapeutic Resources for Substance Abuse – Resources for substance abuse counselors and professionals.
- United States Department of Veteran Affairs – Information about substance abuse as pertaining to the population of U.S. veterans.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine – The American Society of Addiction Medicine offers an annual professional conference for practitioners. The society offers membership to physicians and provides resources for others interested in substance abuse counseling.
- Counselor Magazine – Counselor Magazine is a comprehensive resource for substance abuse counseling professionals. The magazine lists continuing education resources and hosts a blog. The magazine is a leading source of information for addiction counseling practitioners.
Societies, Conferences, Professional Organizations
- Aids.gov Substance Use and Abuse Issues – Aids.gov provides a resource for individuals living with Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. The Substance Use and Abuse section offers educational information about how substance use and abuse affects those dealing with AIDs.
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Community based, multi-lingual 12-step global organization for those who use or abuse alcohol.
- Ask an Addiction Counselor – Twenty-seven year veteran of substance abuse counseling accepts questions from users and addresses issues online.
- Ask the Internet Therapist – Substance abuse counseling questions answered and therapy provided online.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the federal agency that provides facts, statistics and resources for the public with regards to addiction, substance abuse and other public health issues.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway – The Child Welfare Information Gateway provides resources and information for families working with the Child Welfare system.
- Counseling Depot – Repository for substance abuse counselors who provide online and telephone sessions to clients.
- Drug Addiction Help Now – Substance abuse counseling center offers telephone counseling sessions to clients across the nation.
- Drug Strategies – Drug Strategies provides resources for help with addictions. The site will assist the user with finding Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings in their area. Drug Strategies also lists various treatment centers across the U.S. The site also provides additional resources, such as articles on various topics of addictions.
- DrugsTV – Comprehensive parent and teen Internet resource center for information about drugs and alcohol.
- Hazelden – Hazelden is a popular network of substance abuse treatment centers and sober houses. The website provides resources and information for parents and patients.
- Healthy People 2020 – Provides information and education to the general public with regards to substance abuse.
- Narcotics Anonymous – Community based, multi-lingual 12-step global organization for those who use or abuse drugs.
- National Substance Abuse Index – Index listing substance abuse resources across the U.S.
- Smart Recovery – Online support for substance abuse and addiction recovery.
- The Georgia Meth Project – The Georgia Meth Project is an effort to educate the public about the drug methamphetamine and addiction to meth. The site provides information about topics such as meth psychosis and how meth changes the appearance of the user.
- Treatment4Addiction – Online treatment center information repository.
- Addiction Counseling @counselinginfo – Account of addiction counseling referral agency
- Purple Treatment Center @purpleinc – Residential treatment center for substance abuse.
- Good Therapy @good_therapy – Directory for substance abuse professionals.
- American Counseling Association @counselingviews – Account for the American Counseling Association blog.
- Ask an Addiction Counselor @addictionguy – Account for an experienced substance abuse counselor who accepts questions via Twitter and on his professional blog.
- Campus Explorer @campusexplorer – Directory of schools that offer substance abuse counseling training courses and certifications.
- Counseling World @CWcom – Online and telephone substance abuse counseling directory.
- Changing Lives @changinglives – Telephone-based substance abuse counseling.
- Erica Spiegelman @ericaspiegelman – Notable, renown substance abuse counselor, author and consultant.
- MNT Alcohol and Addict @mnt_alcoholadd – Latest addiction and substance abuse counseling news, topics, research and information.
- Psych Central @psychcentral – Mental health and substance abuse news and information.